Rebuild or Refactor? [Watch On-demand Webinar]
Want to end legacy codebase misery and learn how to reignite your old IT system? Join our on-demand webinar hosted by our CTO - Jerzy Zawadzki.
In this webinar, our CTO will help you understand how to deal with legacy IT systems. Such systems often resemble a black box that everyone is afraid to touch.
Here are 5 key takeaways:
Maintain your sanity, not legacy systems
Instead of feeling bad about not delivering on time, learn how to take a proactive approach towards diagnosing legacy systems, the issues, and how to strategize ahead.
Learn all the warning signs of old code killing business
Are you building up technical debt? Symptoms like bugs, slow feature releases, incompatibility and missed opportunities are all signs that you need to perform an upgrade.
Know how to convince others of legacy upgrades
Jerzy will walk you through how to measure the efficiency gain from refactoring older systems, allowing you to convince others to upgrade or migrate from legacy systems.
See why you should refactor over a complete rewrite
Your legacy code is the treasure chest of knowledge and ideas, so throwing it away completely is almost never the right idea. Refactoring lets you incrementally get out of legacy hell.
Plan, make progress and track results
Learn the tried and tested steps of the good refactoring process and make sure you have good benchmarks to measure your progress against.
WHAT’S THE AGENDA?
- What does the “legacy system” mean? A high level intro
- Why do development teams allow the code to become legacy code?
- What are the symptoms of having a legacy codebase?
- How can legacy code affect you as a Product Owner?
- Why would you like to work on the legacy system? What can happen if you leave it as is?
- Why rewriting from scratch is (almost) never a good idea? The good parts of the legacy code
- How to handle the cost of refactoring?
- Methodology of the proper refactoring process – how we do it at Polcode.
- How to mitigate refactoring risk?
- How to avoid software rot in the future?
WHO’S THE HOST?
Jerzy Zawadzki, Polcode CTO is our host. He has over 10 years of experience in refactoring legacy codebases on PHP (Symfony, Laravel) and Magento for companies worldwide.